There is no way for me to explain to Twitter that I have been the victim of a concerted censorship effort by librarians. As a result, literally the only voice speaking out for an end to the sexual harassment of librarians by library patrons viewing Internet pornography is silenced. Twitter is silencing that voice. The attacks, even those amounting to defamation per se, are never blocked by Twitter.
Twitter Is Shadow Banning How ALA Harms CommunitiesSo we understand what Twitter is silencing, here are some of the harms of ALA that I expose:
- ALA is a homophobic organization that took part in two federal court defamation suits against me for my publishing "Gay Hate @ Your Library" that exposed ALA's use of homophobia to cover up its facilitation of child pornography in public libraries and ALA's fake claims about discrimination against the homosexual community to promote its "Banned Books Week" advocacy at the expense of the LGBT community. One way I exposed ALA was by recording and publishing for all to hear an author whose book was on the Banned Books Week list admitting that ALA told her other books were "banned" more than hers but since it dealt with homosexuality, ALA decided to put it on the list. The Banned Books Week yearly list is literally faked to highlight claimed homophobia—at the expense of the LGBT community since faking discrimination claims of bullying results in increased discrimination and even suicides.
|Bittman: "Looks at him, this fruit is blocking me."|
- In preparation for those cases, ALA ordered librarians across the state of Illinois to destroy the evidence I needed to expose that ALA hired a trainer who asked during ALA training why a woman would let her small children around a gay man, then rehired her to train more librarians. To me it's homophobic to rehire as your trainer someone you already know has made homophobia part of the training they are doing on your behalf. Personally, I would never hire anyone who was homophobic for anything. ALA was personally targeting me because ALA had previously warned librarians about me by name, saying they would have to change the wording if I attended that homophobic ALA training: "IF Dan Kleinman or some of our detractors attend, we will need to change our content."
- ALA ensured a library that covered up child pornography crimes under ALA guidance was awarded an "intellectual freedom" award by the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- ALA claims it is "dubious" that librarians are ever sexually harassed by porn-viewing patrons and that previous sexual harassment cases, even those with huge settlements, never really involved sexual harassment since that is so hard to prove legally.
- ALA advises librarians not to report child pornography crimes and to destroy evidence of such crimes since librarians are not judges, and only judges can decide, and only on a case by case basis. When I wrote to the ALA that its model policy for librarians said this in plain text, ALA deleted the policy from the web site to hide the evidence, but it still trains librarians to ignore the crime: "'A librarian is not a legal process,' [Judith] Krug said. 'There is not librarian in the country -- unless she or he is a lawyer -- who is in the position to determine what he or she is looking at is indeed child pornography.'"
- ALA censored Common Sense Media Book Reviews from its own "Great Websites For Kids" precisely so parents and educators would not know the potential for sexually inappropriate content in books for children, like Looking For Alaska by John Green, then ordered all other library associations and all library schools to remove links to Common Sense Media and blacklist it. I am the only one to uncover this ALA censorship so children are exposed to sexually inappropriate material—click here to read this yourself.
- I use Twitter to advocate for librarians being sexually harassed by library patrons viewing pornography as a result of American Library Association [ALA] policy and leadership who claims it's "dubious" librarians are ever sexually harassed. Since I report on how ALA harms librarians and the communities they serve, I have become a target to be silenced, such as a two federal defamation lawsuits against me for publishing "Gay Hate @ Your Library."
- Librarians gleefully brag about censoring books by conservatives from public libraries.
- ALA faked claims that Internet filters block breast cancer searches, admitted on public radio that was false, and I recognized the significance and reported it.
- ALA plagiarized the "Censorship Map" it uses for its "Banned Books Week," a week it uses to mislead people so children remain exposed to inappropriate material, similar to when it ordered the censorship of Common Sense Media as listed above.
Years of Heckler's Veto and Blocks by Librarians Lead to Twitter Shadow BanBecause I expose those harms and name ALA as the source, some librarians attack me. Here are some of the tweets that defame me and that call for me to be blocked by other librarians. Some mock my race, some mock my assumed religionKnow that I was a volunteer librarian for two years, I am seeking to stop sexual harassment of librarians, I have never "doxxed" anyone—reporting unprofessional behavior like defamation is not doxxing, and I am not "anti-porn," rather I oppose how ALA misleads communities into harming themselves (and sex trafficking victims) by ignoring the law and legal precedent to advise the opposite.
There's a long list here to show the long-term effort to defame me and to get those hundreds of librarians to block me, and they do, that Twitter apparently then used for its shadow ban, and these are just some of the worst instances:
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Jul 2018 - I highly recommend blocking Dan Kleinman/Safe Libraries guy as he is known to harass women+dox ppl. #critlib https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1024462287271284738
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Jul 2018 - Dan Kleinman is RT-ing a lot of you, trying to stir up a fight, so if you haven't blocked, I'd recommend it. #critlib https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1024480599564853249
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Jul 2018 - Don't interact with Dan Kleinman. #critlib
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Jul 2018 - Remember that Dan Kleinman isn't a librarian, has never worked in a library, harasses women+doxxes library workers. #critlib https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1024466852687302657
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Jul 2018 - Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. Do not interact with Dan Kleinman. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1024463008184066050
- @MagpieLibrarian 16 Jul 2018 - Replying to @ReadingDanger - Dan Kleinman is a homophobe, transphobe, and all around nightmare. Doesn't want books about queer ppl in libraries, unless the books talk about queer ppl going to hell. Porn is bad, Nazis good. He's repulsive. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1018867242501632002
- @MagpieLibrarian 15 Jul 2018 - Hey @OIF, a good way to know that you're on the wrong side of history is when Dan Kleinman, aka the anti-porn but pro-hate group guy, is on your side. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/1018648339687051264
Hey @OIF, a good way to know that you're on the wrong side of history is when Dan Kleinman, aka the anti-porn but pro-hate group guy, is on your side. pic.twitter.com/4VbgHgG3ZD— 👁️SJW LBGTQ STUFF👁️ (@MagpieLibrarian) July 16, 2018
- @MagpieLibrarian 28 Aug 2017 - Replying to @alphabeticallie @GaylePitman @robin_stevenson - I used to have a Tumblr called The Same Picture of Dan Kleinman Every Day but I got bored. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/902304383387541504
- @MagpieLibrarian 28 Aug 2017 - Replying to @alphabeticallie - Dan Kleinman supports a hate group. I assume his last name is Jewish. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/902262659768311808
- @jaslar 28 Jun 2016 - ALA in Orlando: blood drives, school supplies, many contributions. We stand by the victims, we offer aid. @Safelibraries does ... nothing. https://twitter.com/jaslar/status/747796117308465152
|James LaRue is the head of ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom |
and the Freedom to Read Foundation
- @wawoodworth - 1 Sep 2015 - When I feel bad about my life I recall that Concern Troll has a saved search for "library porn" that he checks daily and I feel much better. https://twitter.com/wawoodworth/status/638747385703833604
- @MagpieLibrarian 6 Aug 2015 - .@Wicholas Dan Kleinman is a pox. If he's Jewish, it is my obligation to apologize for him. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/629339039007682560
- @meghancnyc 13 Jan 2015 - Replying to @MagpieLibrarian - @MagpieLibrarian I can't be Dan Kleinman because I'm not a repressed virgin with halitosis. https://twitter.com/meghancnyc/status/555120537509584896
- @MagpieLibrarian 8 Jan 2015 - Eat a bag of dicks, Safe Libraries guy. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/553239122761232384
Eat a bag of dicks, Safe Libraries guy. pic.twitter.com/F1HuDMh0rm— 👁️SJW LBGTQ STUFF👁️ (@MagpieLibrarian) January 8, 2015
- @MagpieLibrarian 8 Jan 2015 - Safe Libraries guy is a straight up homophobe and has no say in the world of libraries. He's a massive tool+troll. BLOCK HIM. #teamharpy https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/553237289347059713
- @MagpieLibrarian 8 Jan 2015 - Hi, when it comes #teamharpy: Unsolicited advice. Don't engage w/Safe Libraries guy. He's not a librarian, he hates us. He has an agenda. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/553237100154585088
- @MagpieLibrarian 1 Jan 2014 - Replying to @mciszek - @mciszek Or to be clearer of what you had in mind, or to say you learned something. Once douche-o SafeLibraries was on Manley's side... https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/418453075838263296
- @MagpieLibrarian 16 Dec 2014 - If you want2link 2 the 200 libs to follow list, consider using a Do Not Link until #4 + Safe Libraries are taken off: donotlink.com/cx5b https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/544882984588148738
- @MagpieLibrarian 16 Dec 2014 - My comment onthe list: Thanks4including me but being on a list w/ #4+SafeLibraries man who spends his time harassing librarians is troubling https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/544882338333982720
- @MagpieLibrarian 16 Dec 2014 - And if any1 believes Kleinman is an LGBTQ ally check out his comments here: https://magpielibrarian.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/my-first-topic-request-does-god-love-michaels-two-daddies/ https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/544906965689049088
- @MagpieLibrarian 2 Dec 2014 - OK, everybody who can, donate to this, ESPECIALLY if you're sick of Dan Kleinman, that Safe Libraries jackass: http://www.gofundme.com/hzjwy8 https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/539936346198900736
- @MagpieLibrarian 2 Dec 2014 - If you didn't know, our asshole buddy, Dan Kleinman aka #SafeLibaries guy, is being sued. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/science-hating-homeschool-mom-sued-for-defamation-in-ongoing-library-prn-flap/ https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/539934626978873346
- @MagpieLibrarian 2 Dec 2014 - One of my VERY favorite Safe Libraries comments, right before I blocked his ass for forever and eternity: https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/539891625200459776
- @MagpieLibrarian 2 Dec 2014 - I KNOW it's tempting to fight with Safe Libraries guy. I know. I used to. He's not smart or informed. He's just a loud, white, idiot. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/539890174503976960
One of my VERY favorite Safe Libraries comments, right before I blocked his ass for forever and eternity: pic.twitter.com/yYSh7H7yHg— 👁️SJW LBGTQ STUFF👁️ (@MagpieLibrarian) December 2, 2014
- @ThePinakes 2 Jul 2014 - @olinj @jacobsberg Whoa! I didn't even notice a troll on our hash tag. Was it ... well, I don't want to attract his attention - s. l. guy?@MagpieLibrarian https://twitter.com/ThePinakes/status/484454064470495232
- @MagpieLibrarian 6 Oct 2014 - THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS LIKED MY MOST RECENT BLOG POST IS CRAZY ASS CREEPY SAFE LIBRARIES GUY https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/519142762604953601
- @wawoodworth - 21 Apr 2014 - Replying to @dupuisj - @dupuisj @LibrarianRy @rdlankes Probably. As soon as Dan "Concern Troll" Kleinman shows up, you know it's going to get funky. https://twitter.com/wawoodworth/status/458356798140194816
- @MagpieLibrarian 31 Dec 2013 - The Safe Libraries Schmo is a fan of WillManley's blog: You are the last outpost for free speech within librarianship" STOP! STOP! MY SIDES!@MagpieLibrarian https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/418073194868637696
- @MagpieLibrarian 30 Oct 2013 - Safe libraries dude smells like Swiss Cheese https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/395711889860096000
- @wawoodworth - 27 Jul 2012 - Oh, @safelibraries, only a schmuck like you would equate privacy screens as being simply for porn viewing. Thanks for the RT. https://twitter.com/wawoodworth/status/228961456941563904
- @MagpieLibrarian 15 Feb 2012 - Replying to @SafeLibraries - @SafeLibraries Oh honey. I'm a librarian in Brooklyn. I'm definitely not scared of you. https://twitter.com/MagpieLibrarian/status/169984925112614913
Effects of Twitter Shadow Ban and Search BanWhat are the effects of the shadow ban by Twitter? For one thing I lost a lot of followers. I had about 2620 on 5 July 2018, and now on 3 August 2018 I have 2557, or a loss of over 60. Hardly anyone follows me any more—because they don't see me anymore. But this is the least of the problem.
You cannot find me in a search, meaning my name will not be autosuggested. You have to know it and type it directly into the search box. I see it when I'm logged in and I search, but no one else sees it. Go ahead and try it for yourselves. Search for @SafeLibraries. It's not there.
I also learned that when I use hashtags, no one sees my tweets containing those hashtags. This means Twitter is useless for speaking publicly as it now only allows me to read but not respond to what others say in a manner that uses hashtags, the leading way to be heard. I cannot say #ShadowBanning, for example, or rather I can, but Twitter will suppress my tweet when people search for that tag.
For example, the other day I participated in a conversation at the hashtag #critlib. Only I didn't realize I was really not participating because Twitter took that ability away from me. No one saw my comments. I didn't realize this so I was wasting my time because of Twitter, the obvious effect being to discourage me from exercising further First Amendment rights to free speech since they would only come to naught. If I looked at the #critlib tweets, I could see mine. But if other people looked, my tweets were excluded. It's likely why no one responded to me as they did on that hashtag in the past before I was shadow banned. Shadow banned really means banned, nothing shadow about it.
Take a look yourselves to see how I am excluded from #critlib chat: https://twitter.com/hashtag/critlib?src=hash even though the librarian harassing me for over five years and complaining about my assumed race and assumed religion and assumed job has comments there responding to me and furthering Twitter's censorship, like this one:
I highly recommend blocking Dan Kleinman/Safe Libraries guy as he is known to harass women+dox ppl. #critlib— 👁️SJW LBGTQ STUFF👁️ (@MagpieLibrarian) August 1, 2018
Examples of What Twitter BannedHere are some of the tweets that I wrote that no one saw during the conversation and no one can now see that had been and remain excluded as a result of Twitter's censorship. In response to #critlib questions I raised legitimate issues that no one saw. Here they are:
A4. ALA could be more inviting if it stuck to issues of libraries, librarians, librarianship and not social justice—which has nothing to do with true justice—just the opposite. #critlib #NoHateALA #LibrariesRespond— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
A3. ALA Council should have said something to stop the #NoHateALA racist attacks against @jaslar @OIF @ALALibrary by the likes of ALA Councilor @AprilHathcock. #critlib— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
A2: Further, “hate groups” are a minor problem in libraries. What is major? Guys viewing porn on Internet computers. And ALA never discusses that, unless to say any complaints are “dubious.” So much #NoHateALA hubbub going on, near nothing about #TimesUp. Bass Ackwards. #critlib— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
A2. The initial best way to handle it is the same for “Banned Books”—just ignore the issue (and let them meet, unless in the past they caused (and not been victim of) a crime). When you bring attention to the issue, it only grows larger. #critlib— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
#Critlib. No, I disagree. Librarians should not be in a position to make those decisions.— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
It’s a double standard. @OIF argued in US v @ALALibrary that use of filters would force librarians to make decisions.@OIF said librarians are not judges so cannot say what’s child porn.
A1. @splcenter is itself a hate group. Has been successfully sued for millions. Listed @RealBenCarson as a hate group. Caused personal injury @FRCdc. Morris Dees molested step daughter with sex toy: https://t.co/TWak1hIz3S#critlib— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
I’m Dan from SafeLibraries, #critlib, and the way #NoHateALA is treating @ALALibrary @OIF @jaslar with accusations of racism is atrocious. Further, revelations about sex, children, and Morris Dees and the many scandals makes @splcenter a bad group on which to base #censorship.— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
So those tweets are literally made invisible by Twitter, even during the ongoing #critlib discussion, even by the very people viewing the #critlib hashtag.
Lastly, to tweet about this publication, "Twitter Censorship via Librarians Enables Harm," hashtags for me are now useless. I cannot say #ShadowBanning, for example. I'll have to directly tag people. It's speech censorship and denial of press freedom pure and simple. And I am the only press reporting on how ALA harms communities. And it's done by Twitter, at the hands of a mob of harassers who seek to silence my advocacy about how communities can protect themselves from the many harms caused by ALA.
I'll Join Legal Action Taken Against TwitterSo, in summary, what we have here is Twitter censorship, via librarians, where both the librarians AND Twitter enable the harms of the American Library Association listed above by blocking one of the few voices speaking out against them.
And Twitter provides no means to address the censorship which it should not even do in the first place.
I am going to make an effort to join any legal action against Twitter. Congressmen Devin Nunes and Matt Gaetz, for example, are taking legal action.
Thx! @DailyCaller for covering @Twitter shadow banning conservatives or whatever they want call it....@mattgaetz is taking them to FEC! https://t.co/DO6u1uNN8v— Devin Nunes (@DevinNunes) July 28, 2018
Devin Nunes Wants To Sue Twitter After Getting Busted For Tweeting Trump/Russia Propaganda https://t.co/FwVtFoM5l2 via @politicususa— Jeff Stein (@SpyTalker) July 30, 2018
"My suspicion is if people were communicating a conservative message, they were caught in @Twitter's troll tap. I think that is illegal because it gives advantages to our political opponents and gives them access to a flat form we don't have." pic.twitter.com/5Qn5dqbjpT— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) July 30, 2018
MUST-READ: “FEC Complaint Filed Over @Twitter Shadow-Ban” via @SaraCarterDC #Shadowbanned https://t.co/if74smgufO— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) July 31, 2018
Summary - Twitter Banning Produces Loss of Press Freedom to Advise on Governmental ActionsTwitter censorship has taken away my audience, but more importantly, it has taken away the public's opportunity to learn how their governments, as expressed in libraries by legislatively-constituted library boards, have been subverted toward doing the public harm and exposing library employees to sexual harassment. No one can seek redress of their government under the First Amendment, at least on the issue of the harm enabled by ALA-recommended lawlessness in public schools and libraries, if my First Amendment rights are being trampled by Twitter.
Times Up doesn't apply to librarians if the one voice speaking out about Me Too librarians has been silenced by Twitter.
I was defamed at #critlib by #NYC @cgps school librarian Ingrid Conley-Abrams @MagpieLibrarian who falsely claimed I harass women, I never worked in a library, I doxx librarians. Also, she exhorted people to censor me. She then mocked @jaslar @OIF for being called racist. #edchat pic.twitter.com/thl0vO2pum— Dan Kleinman ❌ (@SafeLibraries) August 1, 2018
NOTE ADDED 9 AUGUST 2018:
As of today it appears I am NO LONGER SHADOW BANNED.
That doesn't mean the underlying problem at Twitter has been resolved; I feel my writing this publication and spreading word about it has resulted in the lifting of the ban.
Meanwhile, the racist school librarian (working @cgps) who largely started all this years ago is still being racist and now misandristic, here against James LaRue of the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom:
|"I'd like to add 'edgelord white OIF bros' to the nice white lady demographic."|
URL of this page:
@ALALibrary, @DevinNunes, @mattgaetz, @RepMattGaetz, @SexHarassed, @Twitter
@ALALibrary, @DevinNunes, @mattgaetz, @RepMattGaetz, @SexHarassed, @Twitter