- "Institute of Museum and Library Services Announces 2013 National Medal for Museum and Library Service Finalists," by Sara Neumann, Institute of Museum and Library Services, 14 February 2013.
At least two of the award finalists are the King County Library System and the Pierce County Library System:
- "King and Pierce Counties Library Systems Recognized by Federal Agency; The Institute of Museum and Library Services Announced This Week that Both King County Library System and Pierce County Library System Were Finalists for the 2013 National Medal for Museum and Library Service," by Patch Staff, Enumclaw Patch, 16 February 2013.
Both libraries committed fraud (in my opinion, by defrauding the E-Rate program under the Children's Internet Protection Act):
- "Blatant CIPA Fraud in Pierce County Library in Policy and Practice Caught On Video," by Dan Kleinman, SafeLibraries, 23 November 2012.
- "Library Leaves Pedophile Free to Molest Other Children; King County Library System Defrauds Taxpayers of $1,158,253 from CIPA Program; Media Investigation Needed," by Dan Kleinman, SafeLibraries, 14 October 2010.
They may have enriched themselves with stolen funding to afford what it took to get the awards. I have no idea how a library that commits fraud would be selected for such an award. But I predicted something like this might happen:
- "Anything Goes for America if Seattle Public Library Director Susan Hildreth's Nomination is Confirmed for the Institute of Museum and Library Services," by Dan Kleinman, SafeLibraries, 26 November 2010.
I certainly hope neither library wins the award. IMLS: please don't award fraud in public libraries.
NOTE ADDED APRIL 25 2013:
Remarkably, IMLS has awarded the Pierce County Library System with its National Medal for Museum and Library Service. Specifically, see 7. Pierce County Library System.
What a disappointment. A library committing CIPA fraud is awarded by another governmental entity.
URL of this page: