Let's see if the ALA means what it says. I challenge the ALA to publicly "deplore" what the Iraqi government is doing to wipe out the existence of Jewish culture from Iraq. In Iraq, "local authorities have already began erasing Hebrew inscriptions off Ezekiel’s tomb in order to turn the site into a mosque." Presumably, those are the inscriptions pictured above.
Here is a head start for the ALA to consider:
- Who is Ezekiel? What is Ezekiel's tomb? Or is his tomb elsewhere? By the way, "In the twelfth century the mausoleum contained a large Hebrew library, and it was said that many of these books dated from the time of the First Temple...."
- "Iraq Wants to Turn Ancient Jewish Tomb Into Mosque; Israeli Professor Informed Iraqi Authorities Engaged in Erasing Jewish Characteristics Off Prophet Ezekiel's Tomb Located South of Baghdad," by Smadar Peri, Ynetnews, 18 January 2010.
- "Save Ezekiel's Tomb From Destruction."
- "Iraq to Build Massive Mosque Over the Tomb of the Prophet Ezekiel," by Dr. Paul L. Williams, PhD, The New Media Journal.us, 7 January 2010.
- "Report: Iraqi Workers Erase Hebrew from Prophet Ezekiel's Tomb," by Haaretz Service, Haaretz, 24 January 2010.
- "Ezekiel's Tomb on the Edge of Destruction," by Ariel Harkham, American Thinker, 14 February 2010.
- "Reports: Iraq De-Judaizing Ezekiel's Tomb," by Hillel Fendel, Arutz Sheva, 4 January 2010.
- "Resolution on the Destruction of Palestinian Libraries, Archives, and Other Cultural Institutions," by ALA Council, ALA, 19 June 2002.
- "Protection Urged for Gaza Cultural Heritage," by ALA, American Libraries (ALA), 16 March 2009.
Will the ALA speak out against this censorship, this destruction of worldwide cultural resources? I challenge it to do so, though ALA leadership sides with the terrorists.
What do you think the ALA will do? If the ALA refuses to respond (and it monitors my posts), will this be another double standard? Antisemitism? Please comment below.
"Mr. Alfassa says that Iraq’s Antiquities & Heritage Authority 'has been pressured by Islamists to historically cleanse all evidence of a Jewish connection to Iraq – a land where Jews had lived for over a thousand years before the advent of Islam.'" Hey ALA! Are you going to speak out against this? Or is "censorship" only your concern when adults try to keep inappropriate material from children?