- "Meridian School Board Votes to Remove Controversial Book From Curriculum; Parents Critical of a Controversial Work Say the District Is In Need of More Uplifting Literature," by Bill Roberts, Idaho Statesman, 2 April 2014 (be sure to watch the video of the grandmother speaking out about the inappropriateness of the book for school use, displayed below).
- "Meridian School District Votes to Remove Novel," by Associated Press, Houston Chronicle, 2 April 2014.
- "Meridian School District Votes to Review Reading List," by KTVB.COM, KTVB.COM, 2 April 2014.
- "School Trustees Vote to Find Replacement for Controversial Book," by Michael Locklear, KBOI TV, 2 April 2014.
- "UPDATE: Meridian School Board Pulls Book From Reading List," by Harrison Berry, Boise Weekly, 2 April 2014.
Schools that do the right thing by children to keep children from inappropriate material are rare because they fear the backlash. The American Library Association supplies that backlash precisely to make schools fearful. Expect a full court press by ALA, FTRF, NCAC, AAP, KRRP, FFRF, ACLU and other alphabet soups to force the school to reverse itself and expose the children to material it already found is inappropriate in the school. Be certain the information they provide is a combination of being not true, partially true, and not the whole truth.
My book banned in Meridan, ID (a small city next to Boise): http://t.co/kTeW7Y9kVs
— Sherman Alexie (@Sherman_Alexie) April 2, 2014
If anyone wishes my help in seeing through the propaganda in this or any other case, please contact me, Dan Kleinman of SafeLibraries. I have helped a number of school districts and I have zero fear of people falsely crying censorship to force their way on children.
For a list of many readings about school books and claimed "censorship," see:
URL of the page: safelibraries.blogspot.com/2014/04/SchoolPullsBook.html
On Twitter: @IdahoStatesman @IDS_BillRoberts, @OIF, @Sherman_Alexie