Join the safe library watchdogs. We are librarians, library directors, library school students, library patrons, law enforcement officers, politicians, and legislators who have banded together with a common goal: Protecting children from harm in public libraries.
WE HAVE A SECURE EMAIL: SafeLibraries@pm.me
|Safe Library Watchdogs|
seek to protect children from harm.
So I have reached out to such people. I believe if we work together we can restore good sense to the ALA. So, in a story about how the author of the Children's Internet Protection Act [CIPA] says the ALA has misled a third of American communities into leaving their children exposed to harm, I said the following:
Now isn't that a shame? "Indifferent" librarians? Indifferent to children?
Not all are indifferent, and I am quietly building an organization of those who are not, but more on that much later. Librarians willing to stand against harmful ALA policy, tactics, and indifference that endangers children may wish to contact me. All will be kept confidential.
Well people are already contacting me. A library student who can't stand library schools constantly pushing that keeping inappropriate material from children is censorship, as the ALA with the ACLU nexus claims. A library patron whose kids duck down whenever they pass the library because a guy viewing child porn in the children's section of the library assaulted the patron in front of her kids and the library refused to do anything about it—nor the police as they already knew the library destroys computer logs—per ALA diktat. A library director who said he/she refuses to allow ALA policy to invade the community.
So, folks, come join the safe library watchdogs. Nothing will happen if no one does anything.
This page will grow from time to time as our efforts expands. Please check in occasionally.
And check out another organization fulfilling a similar role. We occasionally work together: Safe Schools, Safe Libraries at http://www.safelibraryproject.com/:
Contact me directly for confidentiality, or if you are not afraid to reveal your identity and situation, use the comment section below—anonymous comments are allowed and encouraged as well.
Library Watchdogs Who Have Acted to Protect Children from ALA Policy
Here are some. Others fill my SafeLibraries blog, but you get the picture. A lot of people are speaking out against ALA policy. Why not you? Join us.
NOTICE: LISTED BELOW ARE PEOPLE TAKING ACTION AGAINST ALA POLICY VIS-A-VIS CHILDREN. THEY HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH SAFELIBRARIES OR ANY LIBRARIES WATCHDOGS UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED IN THE POSTS.
- Annoyed Librarian, Library Journal: "Annoyed Librarian Rips ALA for Banned Books Week 'Nonsense' and for an 'Incoherent and Self-Serving' Definition of Censorship"
- Annoyed Librarian, Library Journal: "How Selection is Used to Censor: The ALA, Conservative Christians, and the Annoyed Librarian's Tour de Force"
- Anonymous, SafeLibraries: "Time to Ban Patrons Instead of Filtering Porn in Public Libraries; Guest Post by 'Adult Services' Librarian"
- Rory Litwin, Library Juice: "Banned Books Week Propaganda Exposed by Progressive Librarian Rory Litwin; ALA Censors Out Criticism of Its Own Actions in a Manner Dishonest to the Core"
- Will Manley, Will Unwound: "The Anything Goes ALA is Out of the Mainstream by Defending the Right of Children to Access Pornography in Public Libraries"
- Annoyed Librarian / Will Manley: "Will Manley Outs Library Profession as the Only One in the World That Wants Children to Have Access to Pornography; Annoyed Librarian Says Some Librarians Sound Like Smut Peddlars"
- Anonymous: "Library Porn Results From ALA Minority Silencing Good Librarians; Boy's Death From Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation Results From ALA's 'Freedom of Information' Line; Allowing Porn In Libraries Is a Mistake"
- Dean Marney, North Central Regional Library, Wenatchee, WA: "Library Porn Removal Roadmap; NCRL Director Dean Marney Details How to Legally Remove Legal Porn from Public Library Computers and Advises that the ALA Relies on Outdated Dogma"
- Steve McKinzie, Corriher-Linn-Black Library, Catawba College, Salisbury, NC: "ALA Blowhards"
- Jo Ellen Ringer, Notus Public Library, Notus, ID: "Librarian Strongly Supports Filtering Legislation; Notus Public Library Director Jo Ellen Ringer Tells It Like It Is"
- Jo Ellen Ringer, Notus Public Library, Notus, ID: "Librarians are Guardians of a Trust, by Jo Ellen Ringer, Notus Public Library Director and Guest Writer"
- Kenneth Warren, Lakewood Public Library, Lakewood, OH: "Go To Hell, ALA, Says Trend Setting Library Director; Wants to Implement Monitoring Software to Watch Computer Screens From Afar"
- Colby Sheppard, Westfield Memorial Library, Westfield, NJ: "Pornography Versus Library Bill of Rights, by Colby Sheppard, Westfield Leader, 9 April 2015"
- Anonymous, Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn, NY: "Porn in Brooklyn Public Library; Frustrated Patron Provides Photographic Proof; Library Refuses to Act; Two and a Half Million Dollars in Jeopardy Due to Possible Fraud"
- Anonymous, Lincoln City Libraries, Lincoln, NE: "Library Patron Cries Out for Justice and Library Filters Due to Pron in Lincoln City Libraries; Deep Library Love Turns to Fear"
- Randy Jackson, Nampa Public Library, Nampa, ID: "One Man Changed Library Policy And Explains How"
Library Students / College Students:
- Anonymous, University of Missouri School of Information Science & Learning Technologies: "ALA's Anything Goes at Any Age Policy Criticized by University of Missouri Library Science Student"
- Lauren Hood, University of Florida, and Phil Cleary, Gustavus Adolphus College, "Twin Students of Different Mothers Want Internet Filters"
Library Security Guards:
- Larry, Phoenix Public Library, Phoenix, AZ: "Hidden Library Crime: Security Guard Reveals Libraries Want Door Greeters, Not Security Guards; Case Evidences Harm of American Library Association Control Over Libraries"
- Aldo DeVivo, Clarkstown High School North, New City, NY: "School Bullies Girl to Promote Political Push for Perks By Displaying In Class Video of Girl's Parents; School Board Misleads Parents Opposing School Book So Only Book Supporters Attend Public Meeting; Media Touts Total Victory And Leaves Out Bullying and Political Trickery; Guest Writer Aldo DeVivo Speaks Out"
- Hilary Lockhart, Quail Run Elementary School, Phoenix, AZ: "School Removes Squirting Sperm Book After 8-Year-Old Complains To Her Mother"
- TheBookBuzz4U, Richland School District, Richland, WA: "TheBookBuzz.org Provides Parent Ratings of Public School Books"
- Plymouth Canton Community Schools & Common Sense, Plymouth-Canton Community Schools, Plymouth, MI: "Citizens Stand Up to School Board; Attempt to Stop Speaker From Using Words in 'Beloved' Fails Big Time"
- Daniel Freeman, Montgomery County High School, Mount Sterling, KY: "Kentucky School Superintendent Exposes False Cries of Censorship; Removes Educationally Unsuitable Books from Curriculum Despite Being on ALA's List for Reluctant Readers"
- Don Horstman, Kalida High School, Kalida, OH: "School Excoriates Book Reviews that Fail to Disclose 'Graphic Sexual Details' in Books for Children; Lush by Natasha Friend is 'Wildly Inappropriate' for Certain Children"
- Frank Bolanos, Miami-Dade County School Board, "Cert Denied: Vamos a Cuba; Cuban-Americans Lead Way for Districts to Back Parents Rights Against ALA/ACLU False Claims of Banning and Censorship"
- Charles Wray, Tippecanoe High School, Tipp City, OH: "Court Backs Local School Control in Evans-Marshall v Board of Education; ALA Loses Another Means to Propagandize Local Communities"
Political Leaders / Activists:
- Women for Decency: "Library Internet Filters":
Volunteers are needed to help visit public libraries and conduct a simple survey to assess whether mandated filters are in place on the public computers.
- Donna Rice Hughes, Enough Is Enough: "Libraries Allowing Porn Are Wrong; Donna Rice Hughes of Enough Is Enough Explains Why"
- Ernest Istook, The Heritage Foundation, author of the Children's Internet Protection Act: "CIPA Author Exposes ALA Deception; Ernest Istook Who Authored Children's Internet Protection Act Calls Out American Library Association for Using Legal Tactics to Claim First Amendment Protection for Public Library Pornography Viewing, Causing Librarians to Be Indifferent and Leave Children Unprotected"
- Phyllis Schlafly, Eagle Forum: "Phyllis Schlafly Exposes ALA Fraud; Banned Books Week is Ridiculous Event; Censorship Claims are Fraudulent"
- Thomas Sowell, The Hoover Institution, "Thomas Sowell on Banned Books Week - BBW is 'Shameless Propaganda ... Now Institutionalized With a Week of Its Own'"
- Mack Shirley, Rexburg, ID: "Idaho House Votes 69-0 for Filters in Public Libraries; HB205 Goes to Governor for Signature"
- Los Angeles Times: "LA Times Supports Filtering Porn from Public Libraries"
- The Oregonian: "Sensible Censorship: Surfing for Porn Shouldn't Be a Public Library Service"
Authors / Writers:
- Meghan Cox Gurdon, Ru Freeman, Janice Harayda: "False Censorship Claims Exposed by WSJ Author Attacked for Exposing Truth About Young Adult Books; Meghan Cox Gurdon Decries Incomplete and Uninformative Book Reviews"
- Erin Manning: "It's Not Censorship, It's Parenting! -- Best Explanation Ever for What's Wrong With the American Library Association and its Effect on Public School Libraries"
Why the Name "Library Watchdogs"?
I have chosen that name because that is what one media source called me, and I liked it, and it fits what we do:
- "Library Seeks Porn Parity," by Sarah Portlock, The Brooklyn Paper, 17 May 2008:
Case in point, after The Brooklyn Paper reported last week that a teenager was raped in the bathroom at the Central branch on Grand Army Plaza, library watchdog Dan Kleinman asked whether the assailants were watching pornography before the attack.
He said his group, SafeLibraries.org, knows of at least two cases when porn consumption at libraries led to sexual attacks.
Related to child sexualization and culture wars generally, here is state representative in the Indiana General Assembly Bob Morris who refuses to back down, and his example of not bowing down to political forces to sexualize children is admirable. Some of the malefactors are the same ones affecting the ALA:
- "Shut Up and Sign; Girls Scouts Political Agenda Wars with Social Conservatism," by Rep. Bob Morris, The Washington Times, 22 March 2012.
- "Library Association Fights Book Bans," by Mark Trainer, U.S. Department of State, 21 March 2012.